Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lacy Lavender Oatmeal Cookies


 I don't in any way consider myself to be an accomplished baker, but it is nice having homemade cookies in the cookie jar. And we like cooking and baking with Homey as much as possible to work on fractions and measures and to keep her comfortable working with kitchen equipment.  She's becoming quite the sous chef!  She and I decided to make this oatmeal cookie this week.

This is a great summer cookie. It's light and lacy, with the unexpected hint of lavender just to be different.  It's a more sophisticated take on the basic oatmeal cookie, but the kids love these too.

I like to stick to the tried and true cookie recipes on sites Better Homes and Gardens, as I remind you all again that I really don't bake.  This basic oatmeal cookie is consistently successful and a great base for variations.  Add raisins if you're into that kind of thing.  Gross.  Or add chocolate chips for a great afternoon snack for the Littles.

 I guarantee you'll have most of the basics on hand:  sugars (white and brown), baking soda and powder, quick oats, 1 1/2 sticks of butter, cinnamon and vanilla.


To keep things light and summery, we're going to add lavender. (Bonus points for the chipped grimy fingernails...you're only 8 once,right?)  I found this at Target, so I imagine you can get it at any grocery store with a decent selection of spices.


Follow the basic recipe, omitting the cloves and adding 1 teaspoon of lavender.  My batches took about 9-10 minutes, so just start watching them after around 8 minutes in case your oven is hotter than mine.  The edges need to begin to brown or else the lovely laciness will turn into lovely crumbles.

Not that that's ever happened to me.  Just trying to set you up to succeed.


The lavender makes you want to pull out fancy, frilly plates and invite ladies to lunch.  So good! Enjoy! And I'd love more ideas for embellishing the very basics in baking.  Let's just keep it very basic.

Off to repaint Homey's fingernails! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment